Richard George Allen

1846 ~ 1928

Richard George ALLEN, the son of James ALLEN and Elizabeth MINERS was born on 17th September 1846. His birth was registered in Penzance.

He joined the Royal Navy on 17th September 1864, his 18th birthday and married Eliza POTTER also from Penzance, in the Autumn of 1870 at Devonport.

The couple had 3 children:

George A ALLEN, born in 1875 at Penzance,

Frank Harry ALLEN born on 15th January 1878 at Penzance

Charles Potter ALLEN born in 1879 also in Penzance.

Eliza  died in 1897 and Richard George married Selina Thomas WILLIAMS in the Autumn of 1898. Selina died in 1919 and Richard George died in 1928.

Richard George ALLEN died on Easter Day, 8th April 1928 at Devonport and is buried in Gulval Churchyard.

In Affectionate

Remembrance of


The beloved wife of


Who departed this life

July 21st 1897

Aged 49 Years

In Loving Memory

Selina beloved wife of


Who died October 29th 1919

Aged 61 Years


who died at


Easter Day 1928

Aged 81 Years


The following information has been transcribed from Richard George's service record in the Royal Navy:

Date of Birth 17th September 1846

Age in first entry 14 Years 1 Months

Date of Entry for Continuous Service: 17 September 1864 Number 52583 'Can Swim'

25th Oct 1860 to 15th Dec 1860. Boy 2nd Class aboard "Russell"
  • HMS Russell was a 74-gun third rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, launched on 22 May 1822 at Deptford.
    She was fitted with screw propulsion in 1855, and was broken up in 1865

HMS Russell log extract 25th Oct 1860 to 15 Dec 1860

"At Cross Roads, Falmouth; Royal Naval Coast Volunteers under Instruction"


HMS Russell, Extract from Ship's log: 15th December 1860

'Sailed the "Sylvia" tender to Devonport with Supernumeries'

25th Oct 1860 to 21st Nov 1861. Boy 2nd Class aboard "Hannibal".
  • Hannibal: The 8th ship to bear this name. Built 1854 a 2nd Rate of 4,540 tons displacement. Recorded as 'sea service 1859 - 1862', Sold 1904.

Extract from "General Record Book   H.M.S. Hannibal"

103 R.G.Allen, Penzance;  List 14 No529 "Russell" 15 Dec'60:

Disch. 21Nov '61 Amphion  "Very Good"



22nd Nov 1861 to 20th Dec 1862. Boy 2nd Class aboard "Amphion".
  • Amphion: The 3rd ship to bear this name. Built 1846, A 5th rate.    Sold in 1863


  • This sketch of HMS Amphion in the Baltic Fleet, under fire from the Batteries of Snadham, by  J.W. Carmichael during a recent visit to the Baltic.(London Illustrated news, Oct20, 1855)


21st Dec 1862 to 25th Feb 1865. Boy 2nd Class; Rated Boy 1st Class 2nd Nov 1863; rated Ordinary Seaman 2nd Class 4th Jan 1865, aboard "Virago".
  • Virago: The 2nd ship to bear this name. Built 1842, A sloop, scrapped in 1876.



26th Feb 1865 to 9th Feb 1867. Rated Ordinary Seaman on 15th Apr 1865, aboard "St George"

  • St George: The 7th ship to bear this name, Built 1840, A 1st rate.
  • HMS St George (86 guns) was a conversion of an existing two-decker, originally launched in 1840 but modified in 1858-59. Such ships were not quite as effective as new construction but enabled a rapid increase in the strength of the steam battle line at a time of growing tension with France.


13th Feb 1867 to 27th April 1870. Rated A.B. on 1st Jan 1868 aboard "Rodney". 1st Good Conduct Badge granted 27th Feb 1868.




HMS Rodney: extracts from Ship's Log:

Jan 1867  " In hands of dockyard"

Feb/March " Sheerness"

8th March  "Nore"

18th March  "Portsmouth"

28th March "Plymouth"

8th May "Madeira"

13th June "Rio de Janiero"

10th July " Simons Bay, Cape"

27th Aug "Batavia"

4th Sep "Simgapore"

22nd Sep "Manilla"

4th Oct "Hong Kong"

16th Nov"Nangasaki"

14th Jan 1868 "Yokohama"


HMS Rodney, 1835,  the 4th ship to bear this name, launched as second rate sailing ship at Pembroke dockyard 18th June 1833, wooden hulled, 92 gun.  Converted to un-armoured wooden screw vessel at Portmouth dockyard 11th January 1860. In 1867 commissioned flagship, China station, Vice-Adm Sir Henry Keppel, Capt Heneage. 27th April 1870 paid off; last un-armoured wooden battleship in full commission. Broken up February 1884, Portsmouth.

28thApril 1868 to 20th May 1871. A.B. aboard "Cambridge" 'Seaman Gunner First Class 18th April 1871'
  • Cambridge: formerly the 'Windsor Castle', , Built 1858, Renamed 1869, the 5th ship to bear this name. The 4th Cambridge, built 1815, a 2nd Rate became the gunnery school in Devonport in 1856, she was scrapped in 1869.
  • Windsor Castle August 1858 - 204' x 60' x 23' 9" 1-shaft Maudslay engine 2052 ihp  10.9 knts
    30 x 8" Shell Gun SBML
    70 x 32 pdr. SBML
    2 x 68 pdr. SBML 930 Originally named Victoria
    1869: Renamed TS Cambridge (Devonport)
    1908: Sold for scrapping 
21st May 1871 to 4th May 1872. AB aboard "Glasgow", 'Canvas & Shoes issued 1st Jun 1871'
  • HMS Glasgow was a wooden screw frigate, the fifth ship of the name to serve in the Royal Navy.
    Glasgow was launched at Portsmouth Dockyard on 28 March 1861. Despite ironclad ships being introduced in 1858 and effectively rendering wooden hulls obsolete the Glasgow was built of wood to use up some of the extensive stocks of ship building timber then stored in Britain. Indeed the Glasgow would be one of the last Royal Navy Vessels to be made entirely from wood. Her one and only foreign deployment was as flagship to the East Indies from 1871-5. From 24 May 1871 until her decommissioning she was commanded by Captain Theodore Morton Jones. During this time she was the flagship of Rear-Admiral James Horsford Cockburn and then Arthur Cumming, following Cockburn's death. Glasgow was paid off on 20 July 1875 and sold for breaking up in December 1884. The Glasgow was used by Sultan Bargash of Zanzibar as the model for his royal yacht HHS Glasgow, Bargash having been impressed by the ship when it visited Zanzibar in 1873.

HMS Glasgow painted in 1903

5th May 1872 to 17th Oct 1872. AB aboard "Inconstant", 'Shoes issued 1st Jun 1872.'
  • Inconstant: Built 1868, A frigate which became part of 'Defiance' {The torpedo School at Devonport}
  • Iron Frigate 5,780 tons 337'x50.25'x25.5' Guns 10 9" M.L.R., 6 7" M.L.R. Torpedo Tubes 2 carriages for 16" added about 1877Engine about 6,500 h.p.;13.5 knots under sail, 16 knots under steam

18th Oct 1872 to 28th Feb 1873. AB aboard "Cambridge". First Class Gunnery Engineer

1st December 1872. 2nd Good Conduct Badge granted 4th Jan 1873.

1st Mar 1873 to 27th May 1873. AB aboard "Valiant".
  • Valiant: Built 1863, the 5th ship to bear this name. An armoured ship of 6,710 tons, became a hulk in 1897, called Valliant III. Oil hulk at Devonport in 1924, Sold in1956
  • Valiant:6,700 tons 280' x 56.25' x24.75' Guns; 2 8" M.L.R. 16 7" M.L.R. Engines; 800h.p.; 10 knots under sail, 12.5 knots under steam


20th May 1874 to 6th Jun 1874. Rated 'Cox Cutter' aboard "Royal Adelaide" Then transferred 'To Cambridge for Gunnery'







Royal Adelaide: Depot ship at Devonport in 1890.

9th June 1874 to 25th Feb 1875. Cox Cutter at "Cambridge".

Seaman Gunner 1st Class 25th Jan 1875.

27th Feb 1875 to 10th Apr 1875. Cox Cutter aboard "Excellent".

T.O. {Training Officer?} 8th April 1875

  • The second HMS Queen Charlotte was a 104-gun first-rate, launched in 1810, renamed Excellent in 1859 and sold in 1892
  • HMS Excellent, located at "Whaley" or Whale Island, Portsmouth, was the Navy Gunnery School from about 1830.
  • From 1863 a 1st Class Gunnery Officer  received 3/6d. per day.

    11th Apr 1875 to 2nd June 1876. Cox Cutter at "Cambridge"

    Rated Gunners Mate 14th Sep 1875.

    Gunnery Instructor 24th September 1875.

    Long Service and Good Conduct Medal 29 January 1876.


    3rd Jun 1876 to 10th May 1878, Gunners Mate aboard "Hotspur"

    • HMS Hotspur, British Ironclad Ram, keel laid 1868.
    • 4,010 tons 235' x 50' x 20'. Guns 1 12" M.L.R., 2 64 pdrs. M.L.R.

     Engines 3,500h.p.;12.5 knots

    11th May 1878 to14th Nov 1883, Gunners Mate at "Cambridge",  Gunnery Instructor Certificate cancelled 11th May 1878; Re-awarded 8th July 1878.

    3rd Good Conduct Badge granted 1st Jan 1879.

    Rated Chief Gunners Mate 25th July 1879.


    15th Nov 1883 to 11th Oct 1888, Chief Gunners Mate aboard "President".


    • President: Built 1829, the 5th ship to bear this name. A 4th Rate. The figurehead, of US President John Adams, is now in the entrance hall of the Fishmongers' Company. From 1862 to 1903 served as Naval Reserves Drill Ship in East india Dock, Milwall. Sold 1903


    12th Nov 1888 to 25th Nov 1888. " Ajax"
  • Ajax: A turret ship, built 1880, the 5th ship to bear this name, sold 1904
  • Alax: 8,510 tons 280' x 66' x 23' Guns 4 12.5" M.L.R., 2 6" B.L. Engines 6,000h.p.; 13 knots
  • 30th Sep 1889 to 4th Mar 1894, 7 and 14 day tours of duty approximately every 6 months aboard "Penzance"  

    It appears that "R.G." retired in 1889, but did periodic tours of duty at the shore battery in Penzance.  He bought The Mounts Bay Inn, half way between Penzance & Newlyn  with his retirement money from the Navy and is recorded there in the 1891 Census.

    He later bought the 'Old Inn' at Gulval, now called 'The Coldstreamer' and a hunting picture inside the present building shows the Hunt at the pub with R.G.'s name clearly visible above the door. He retired from The Old Inn after the death of first wife Eliza in 1897. The pub burnt down shortly after this and the present pub was subsequently erected and extended."

    R.G. is recorded living at 'Allen House' 32 Lannoueth Road, Penzance on the marriage certificate to his second wife in October 1898 and in the 1901 census.

    The Old Inn ~ Gulval